The image above is one of five hand-painted backdrops that were painted by Edgar S. Paxon in the lat 1800’s and early 1900’s. In the spring of 1877 Edgar came to Montana where he worked as a cowboy, shotgun rider and military scout. A few years later Paxson and his wife settled in nearby Deer Lodge and became a professional painter, which included painting houses, signs, decorating saloons, and painting backdrops for many of the community theatres. He painted six backdrops which, over the years, have been sold and changed hands many times until they were returned to The Opera House. Currently, these five amazing treasures are on loan to The Opera House from the Granite County Museum since 1998.
During the summer months, The Opera House is one of those not-to-miss experiences while in Philipsburg. Each season brings new productions and new cast members to this community. Check The Opera Theatre House Company website for next season’s production.